Boxwood Gulch Fly Fishing | Colorado Exclusive Water Ranch
Boxwood Gulch & Long Meadow Ranch Overview
Boxwood Gulch Ranch and Long Meadow offers the best fly fishing in Denver area on exclusive water in Colorado
We are pleased to be one of just a few outfitters with access to this highly regarded stretch of river on the North fork of the South Platte River 50 miles southwest of Denver. Beginners and expert fly anglers alike will enjoy fly fishing the Boxwood Gulch Area and the Long Meadow Section of the beautiful North Fork of the South Platte River. This part of the river system is both a head water and a tail water fishing experience. Located in Park County on Hwy. 285 just a scenic 60 minute drive Southwest of Denver. You will get to experience Denver fly fishing on private property with some of the best fly fishing guides in Denver!
Private Water Quick Facts
Location: North Fork of the South Platte River
Season: Spring, Summer, Fal
Capacity: 1-20 Anglers
Closest Major Air Hub: Denver, CO
Target Species: Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroat, Brook Trout, Palomino Rainbow Trout, Tiger Trout
Documents Required: State ID or Drivers License to purchase a Colorado Fishing License
Book Boxwood Gulch
Book Long Meadow
PRIVATE WATER FLY FISHING
Fly Fishing Boxwood Gulch & Long Meadow Ranch
Located on North Fork of the South Platte River – 3/4 Mile+ flows through Boxwood Gulch Ranch and two miles flow through our Long Meadow and it’s all fishable by wading.Flow rates vary from 40 cfs to 900 cfs. We fish 12 months a year (but not every day) 2 rearing ponds are fishable until they freeze over. Dry fly action – March through October. Nymphing all year.
This is a guided, walk and wade, river fishing experience on the North Fork of the South Platte River. You will have approximately one mile of the river at Boxwood and 2 miles at Long Meadow to fish depending on the section/sections that you reserve.
- Big fish and plenty of them—and you will catch some of them.
- Total Privacy- Boxwood section: If your group is 8 or more only your group will be fishing the property. If fewer than 8 anglers we may add anglers. They will have their own guide and share the property independent of your group. At Long Meadow section, you may see a few other anglers not in your group.
- Easy river access—no long hikes over rough terrain.
- Only 60 minutes from down town Denver via State Hwy. 285—no jeep trails.
- A combination of wild fish, spawned fish, and stocked fish make the fishing challenging enough for the expert yet friendly enough for the novice.
- There is a good chance that you will hook into and hopefully land the largest trout of your lifetime at Boxwood. You also stand a good chance of catching more trout than you have ever caught in a river fishing experience.
- The Clubhouse facility makes fishing even in “poor weather” a nice experience and the shelter and porta pottie at Long Meadow come in handy at times.
- Many different species of trout can be caught all in the same day: Rainbows, Cutbows, Cutthroats, Browns, Brookies, Tigers, Steelhead, Palomino.
- The river is wader friendly. No moss, no weeds, and no over your head water. But still very challenging rapids, pools and riffles.
- The average size fish landed in 2008 was 19inches. The largest, a 28.75 inch Rainbow, a 27 inch Brown, a 24 inch Cutbow, a 22 inch Cuthroat, a 17 inch Brookie…your get the idea. We do have big fish in a river environment.
This list was compiled from listening to angler comments on why they will be back. We hope that we get to meet and photograph you, with your trophy trout.
Minturn Anglers is very excited to announce several new private water venues for this summer. See all of our Private Water Fly Fishing in Colorado >>
PRIVATE WATER ROD FEES
Rod fees are the fees the land owners pass on in order to access private water in Colorado. Unlike some neighboring states, land owners in Colorado own the stream bottom. This means that you can float through private water but cannot touch bottom, drop anchor and you certainly can’t get out and wade fish. By paying the rod fee, this allows you the opportunity of exclusive access to stetches of river that are seldom fished and that you can enjoy entirely to yourself. Rod fees are in addition to the price of our normal trip rates and can be added to half day, 3/4 day or full day fly fishing trips.
PRIVATE WATER TRIP DETAILS
Private Water access at either Boxwood Gulch or Long Meadow can be added to our Wade fishing trips.
Wade Fishing Trips on Private Water
The walk and wade trip provides novice and experienced anglers alike an excellent opportunity to experience Colorado’s breathtaking scenery and wildlife; as well as the opportunity to catch the trout of a lifetime. We proudly book the most Walk & Wade fly fishing trips along the Denver Front Range. Rates & More on Guided Wade Fishing Near Denver, CO>>
Half Day Wade Trips: The half day is a 4 hour fly fishing experience from start to finish. This is a great way to test the waters of fly fishing or sneak away for a short evening trip
Full Day Wade Trips: Our full day Wade trip lasts as long as your arm can hold up. We generally start our full day trips in the morning, take a short break for lunch and travel to a different fishing location in the afternoon.
LODGING & ACCOMMODATIONS
Many of our anglers stay in the Denver area, or the various ski resorts. Denver is only a 60-minute drive, Breckenridge a 75-minute drive. Vail and Copper Mountain are within a 90-minute drive of Boxwood Gulch. Please call us for lodging establishments that are a little closer to fishing locations at 720-851-4665.
Boxwood Gulch’s clubhouse is designed to give anglers every comfort that a year-round fishery needs. This includes heat, refrigerator, microwave, rest room with shower, rod racks, telephone – even a helicopter landing pad is at your disposal and much more.
We can accommodate groups of up to 20 anglers. This is a great way to entertain customers, employees, friends and family. Do something different. Do a day at Boxwood Gulch.
When you book Boxwood Gulch for your group of 8 or more you get the entire property. Only your group will be fishing the property. (If less than 8 we may add some other anglers but they will have their own guide and share the property independent of your group.)
Minturn Anglers Prides itself in upfront Honesty & No Hidden Fees. There is no fine print on our website. We do not advertise a low price and then nickel and dime our clients for flies, leaders, tippet and equipment rentals at the end of the day. We include all the flies, leaders, tippet, waders, boots, rods, reels and lunches on full day guided fishing trips. If you see a lower advertised price, and additional charges in the fine print for flies, rentals etc. proceed with caution! On a typical full day float trip with two anglers, it would be common to use 24 flies. See the difference below for comparison….
Our Advertised Full Day Float Price: $495
Amount We Charge at the End of the Day: $495
Competitors Advertised Full Day Price: $475 (does not include flies, leaders, tippet & gear rental)
24 Flies: $60
2 Leaders: $9.90
Gear Rental: $40
Amount Competitor Charges at the end of the Day: $584.90
TRIPS DO NOT INCLUDE: A FISHING LICENSE & A GRATUITY FOR YOUR GUIDE. STANDARD GRATUITY IS 20%. 1/2 DAY AND 3/4 DAY TRIPS DO NOT INCLUDE LUNCH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE LUNCH PROVIDED ON THESE TRIPS THE PRICE IS $25/PERSON.
How Far in Advance do I Need to Book a Trip with Minturn Anglers?
We are the largest fly fishing outfitter in the State of Colorado and have over fifty guides on staff covering both our Vail & Front Range Fishing locations. As a result, we can often handle same day reservations. That being said, we certainly encourage advanced reservations .
What do I need to Bring With me?
We are an all inclusive fly fishing outfitter. That mean’s that we provide all the fly fishing gear you will need. If you want to use your own gear you are certainly welcome to do so. Aside from the fishing gear, you’re welcome to bring a camera but our guides also have them if you forget.
What do I Need to Wear?
The best way to explain this is to imagine what you would wear if you were going on a hike or long walk on a similar weather day.
Do I need a Fishing License, and if so…where can I buy one?
All individuals 16 and over will need a Colorado Fishing License which can be purchased for at our store. Single day out of state CO fishing licenses are $9 for the first day and $5 for each additional day. If you want to get out the door quicker, feel free to purchase them online and view other fishing license options ahead of time HERE.
What is a Standard Gratuity for a Fishing Guide?
A standard gratuities for a fly fishing guide is 20%
Where do I meet my guide?
We can arrange to for you to meet us at our shop, at fishing locations or we are happy to pick you up at your place of residence. Whichever you prefer.
Will I catch a Fish?
Catching fish is never guaranteed, but we would say with strong certainty you will have opportunities to catch fish. We consider an “opportunity” as you set the hook, and felt the fish wiggle on the end of the line. How many fish come to hand is in large part determined by how much experience an angler has hooking & landing fish with a fly rod.
- How many other people will be fishing the property?
- Boxwood-If your group is 8 or more anglers only your group will be allowed to fish the property. If your group is less than 8 anglers we may add other anglers. They will have their own guide and share the property independent of your group
- Can I bring my kids/wife?
- Yes-but they would be charged the access fee. There are safety/supervision considerations too.
- Can I bring my dog?
- What about bad weather or poor river conditions?
- If the schools are closed in our area or Metro Denver, due to weather, then we will not expect you to be here.
If for some reason, the river is real muddy when you get here i.e. chocolate water with visibility less than 12 inches and you do not want to fish, you will get a refund or full credit. Same with ice over. If something happens after you start fishing then you must look to God for help. (Check with your outfitter)
- Boxwood has indoor plumbing and other amenities in the clubhouse.
Long Meadow has a Porta-pottie that is professionally maintained.
- How many fish can I take home?
- None. Strictly catch and release barbless fly-fishing.
- Are the fish some how fenced in?
- No. They are free to roam the entire drainage, and they do, but they spend most of their time at Boxwood/Long Meadow.
- Why are the fish so big especially at Boxwood?
- We take great care of them, especially in the winter.
- Other than the price, what are the main differences between Boxwood and Long Meadow?
- Long Meadow has more water—approximately 2 miles vs 1 mile at Boxwood.
- Boxwood has a greater percentage of really huge fish. 22 inch and larger.
- Boxwood has a clubhouse and other amenities—comfort in poor weather.
- Long Meadow may have slightly better dry fly action.
Other Questions You Might Have…
Please don’t hesitate to call our Denver store at 720-851-4665 with any further questions you might have regarding fishing Boxwood or Long Meadow.
Guided Trip Reservation & Cancellation Policy
Vail Valley: 970-827-9500
Email: [email protected]
Reservations/Booking & Payment Info
To book a trip, use the BOOK NOW button or call us and let us know when you would like to go & any other special trip information you might have. To hold a reservation, we require a credit card number to complete your reservation. The trip is charged 100% at the time of reservation.
Payment in full is due upon trip confirmation. Trips are fully refundable up to 72 hours before your trip. If you cancel within 24-48 hours in advance of your trip you will receive a 50% refund. If you cancel within 24 hours of your trip, no refund will be given.
All trips are guided by Minturn Anglers, and rates reflect most current Minturn Anglers pricing). Minturn Anglers operates under special use permits from the White River National Forest, DOW, and the BLM. Colorado Outfitter #2597. Equal opportunity service provider.
WHY MINTURN ANGLERS?
We hire full time professional fly fishing guides committed to fly fishing. We are not a seasonal mass tourism fly fishing operation like you will find in most resort towns. We know our rivers intimately and are not learning them as we go. We are constantly making adjustments to your flies and rig throughout the day because we know that an extra split shot is the difference between catching a fish or not catching a fish.
Knowledgeable: Our guide staff is made up of authors, commercial fly tiers, and guides who fish and win fly fishing competitions. We are stewards of the sport and enjoy sharing our passion and knowledge for the sport with you. It’s easy to say, “we have the most knowledgeable and experienced staff” on a website. If you have any doubts we encourage you to ask around.
Innovation: We are innovators of our industry offering trips that no else does and service that is unrivaled. We are often followed or copied, but never outdone by other outfitters.
We Work Harder: The biggest difference is that we are the hardest working guides on the river. If we pass through a run that we know holds fish, we don’t just keep going. We adjust our weight and depths until we start hitting fish. Once we start hitting fish, we don’t coast. We fish the river hard from start to finish.
Honesty: We are more interested in having you back year after year as opposed to making a quick buck off you. If fishing conditions change drastically following a big rain storm, we will be honest about what you can expect and let you decide whether or not you still wish to fish or reschedule. We will always be happy to issue a refund if conditions wont allow for a great day on the river. That being said, we can’t think of a single day EVER where all stretches of water in Vail have been unfishable.
Friendliness. If our success could be summed up in one word, “friendly” would be that word. In an industry made up of arrogant fly fishing elitists, we have grown from nothing by consistently following the simple principle of, “Just be nice to people.”