Everybody’s talking about “apps” these days, including waterfowl hunters. If you are not sure what an “app” is, spend a few informative minutes with your grandkids. Basically, a mobile application is a computer program that can be downloaded to a mobile device like a phone or computer tablet, and then accessed whenever desired. The always helpful and informative staff at Minturn Anglers in Minturn Colorado told me that these electronic tools are now available to aid the waterfowl hunter in the field.
Start out with the Duck Hunting Calls App from Pico Brothers. Their app offers seven professional duck hunting calls, as well as clear instructions for their use. This low cost app is designed to help learn how to make most common Mallard duck calls, from greeting, hail and lonesome hen calls, to a feed and pleading call, as well as a comeback call and basic quack. This certainly is one of the easiest ways to learn basic duck calls. Be sure to check with Minturn Anglers whether this app is legal to use for Colorado hunting.
Check out the official Ducks Unlimited Android App for valuable waterfowl hunting resources, including real-time migration observations and hunting reports by lists or on maps by location and flyway. Check out photos and audio for the most common waterfowl in North America. Access sunrise and sunset times, season dates, bag limits and just about anything else you might need to know about duck hunting.
While you’re in your blind waiting for the next flock, here are some other apps that might help:
- Use the Scats and Tracks of North America App from Ducks Unlimited to “recognize what critters went before you”, as their motto promises
- Refer to Cabela’s Recon Hunt for GPS point-to-point navigation and topographical maps
- Activate a Flashlight app to turn an iPhone into a bright flashlight with the swipe of a finger
- Explore the recipes on Epicurious to decide your next waterfowl culinary experience
- Spend time playing chess or checking out the latest sorts scores when all is quiet in the sky
Best of all, within a short time of testing your skills with these waterfowling apps, you will be on equal speaking terms with your tech-savvy grandkids!