Do I need to spend a fortune to get into Fly Fishing? Absolutely not! What we recommend is that you take it in stride. You want to buy quality gear, but above all else don’t put your eggs all in one basket and skimp out on the other things you need.
Key Things to Look for In Fly Fishing Products
- WarrantiesDurability & expected lifetimeManufacture Reputation…Do some research!
Understanding & Selecting Fly Rods
- How Fly Rods are made?Scott Fly Rod Co. | Behind the Scenes from FELT SOUL MEDIA on Vimeo.What Determines the “weight” and Action of a fly rod?
- What makes one fly rod better than another?
- What size fly rod should I buy?
- I’m just starting out…will I notice the difference between fly rods? The first few times you pick up a rod you won’t. You will grow accustomed to the rod you learn on. After a month pick up another fly rod and you will certainly notice a difference for the better or worse.
- Fly Rod Reviews & Recommendations
Choosing the Right Fly Reel
Durability. Machined Reels vs. Cast Aluminum Reels
Sealed Drag System
Weight & Balance to Match Rod
Lamson All the Way!
Fly Fishing Reel Reviews
Selecting the Right Fly Line
- Fly Line weight & Line SizeFly Line Design & Taper
- Choosing the Right Fly Line
- Fly Line Reviews & Information
What is a “Leader” & What is Tippet?
- Leaders Transfers the energy from the fly line to the flyLeaders are tapered to transfer the energy smoothlyTippet refers to the portion of the leader where the line levels out at a consistent diameter.Leaders & tippet are made of either flourocarbon or monofilamentStrength and diameter of the leader & tippet are referenced on an “X” system 0x-7x for practical purpose.
Differences Between Flies
- Dry Flies-Float and are fished on the SurfaceNymphs– Fished subsurface (usually dead drifted in the current)Streamers- Designed to imitate forage fish and are fished with movementSee our Fly Tying & Fly Video Gallery
Lightweight breathable waders are the standard
allow for comfort in hot weather, and layering for cooler weather
Simms is the leading manufacture of Waders
Details on Wader Design & Construction
- Felt… A thing of the PastVibram Streamtred: More traction, longer lasting, way better out of the water & environmentally friendlyIf traction is an issue, studs can be added for more grip
- Wading Boot Reviews & Info
Fly Fishing Clothing & Eye-Wear
- UV protection essential when on the waterlightweight breathable clothingPolarized Sunglasses
- Fly Fishing Clothing Reviews & Info
Fly Fishing Accessories: The Other Stuff
- Fly Fishing Packs or Vests Depend on Personal PreferenceFly BoxesNets-Rubber Bags are a life Saver!Setting it All Up: Make it work for you!